[TriLUG] FTP servers

Thomas C. Meggs tom at plik.net
Tue Sep 17 21:57:44 EDT 2002

Tanner! :)

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
| So nice of you to just trash something without any references
| and then recommend a commercial product.  You don't by any chance
| own stock in NcFTP do you?  (Okay, that was a cheap shot, but
| I did wonder...)

First off, I'm not affiliated with NcFTP. You shouldn't judge me by my
intentions, I was just repeating some advice I heard.

| For the record, proftpd does *not* have a "history riddled with
| security problems."  If you want to know about proftp's security,
| feel free to search google and look here:
| http://www.proftpd.org/security.html

I ran ProFTPD for about a year with an application that required rather
high security, and I got really sick and tired of having to patch it
several times in succession. The third time was the charm. So forgive me
if I still have a bitter sentiment. I admit that ProFTPD hasn't had any
serious problems in a while. However, here are your references. :)

| run it on my servers for years).  (As always, you should have a
| comprehensive security policy in place to address things like
| cleartext passwords.)  Running proftp will not, by itself allow
| your box to be "root'd".

A good security policy is always neccesary. On top of my usual lock
downs I am strongly against using plain text passwords. Of course, these
recent OpenSSH/OpenSSL vulnerabilities have been a pain in the ass.

You say that ProFTPD will not by itself allow your server to be
compromised. How is ProFTPD presently changing the UID of its children?
I notice that it is running as nobody. I assume it is requiring root
privledges somewhere along the way.

Regards,
Tom

- --
$Id: .sig,v 1.17 2002/08/21 13:12:32 tom Exp $

pub  1024D/87F1C20F 2001-11-15 Thomas C. Meggs <tom at plik.net>
Key fingerprint = 5E9A D535 B9DA A889 984B  9654 2025 409B 87F1 C20F

"It was funny with coffee.  Sometimes it did nothing for
him, and actually made him weak. But sometimes it really
made him feel like God."
	- from "Miguel", short story by Dan Bern