[TriLUG] SSL Issues

Robert Porter robertporter at rp2c.com
Tue Sep 17 23:22:25 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 11:15 pm, Stephen Schaefer wrote:
> I can't be entirely sure that this idea won't have
> pitfalls, but how about: get yourself all the source
> RPMs, and replace Red Hat's versions with versions
> built from Red Hat's source.  You should be able to
> apply your customized code as patches to the Red Hat
> sources, then build and install your customized RPMs.
>
> This is by no means a walk in the park, but I've done
> it in similar circumstances (I wanted a later mod_perl
> than they supplied at the time).  The bonus is that
> rpm -Va is a pretty good tripwire lite.
>
>     - Stephen P. Schaefer
>
> [who is taking the RHCE on the 27th, and would love to
> work for Red Hat]

That sounds like a great idea, think I will try that on one of my test
systems, after all I better start to learn how to exist in the RPM world!  I
have been fighting it mostly because I have not taken the time to learn it.

I grew up in the forked Unix world, played with Linux years ago and then got
coerced into the MS world by my corporate clients.  I am just now emerging
from that dark journey back into the Linux/Unix world and ran smack into this
RPM monster!  Not fair!

*Sigh* guess I gotta start somewhere!

Cheers and Thanks!

Bob