[TriLUG] openssl bug

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Wed Sep 18 09:04:40 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 09:02, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
> I believe (other Debian gurus will have to correct me) that it's
> "apt-get dist-upgrade" and since you mention it - I'm not clear as to
> why one might run that as opposed to just the apt-get upgrade which
> upgrades all programs loaded on the computer. So any enlightment, as
> always, is welcome :)

The way I understand it, upgrade will *only* upgrade existing files.
dist-upgrade will upgrade files and install any *new* dependencies.

So if, say, bash adds GTK support (heh), and debian makes a new package
for it that depends on GTK, but you don't have GTK installed, "upgrade"
would not upgrade bash even though there's a new version, "dist-upgrade"
would upgrade bash and install GTK.