[TriLUG] Re: openssl bug

Nathan Conrad conrad at bungled.net
Wed Sep 18 12:20:48 EDT 2002

Each computer with Debian maintain a list of debian repositories in
/etc/apt/sources.list. Each line in the file specifies a particular
release of Debian. If one wants to upgrade to a new release, one adds
a line to this file such as:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

'apt-get update' will download the current versions of the package
lists (which includes version and dependancy info). apt-get upgrade
will check for new versions of already-installed packages (based on
the lists downloaded by 'apt-get update') and install them.

'apt-get dist-upgrade' will try to resolve dependancies by installing
uninstalled packages. Usually this is needed for upgrading from one
release to another because so many things change.

If this is unclear, here is an excerpt from the man page:

       update
		update is used to resynchronize the package index
		files from their sources. The indexes of available
		packages are fetched from the location(s) specified in
		/etc/apt/sources.list.  For example, when using a
		Debian archive, this command retrieves and scans the
		Packages.gz files, so that information about new and
		updated packages is available. An update should always
		be performed before an upgrade or dist-upgrade.
		Please be aware that the overall progress meter will
		be incorrect as the size of the package files cannot
		be known in advance.

       upgrade
              upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all
              packages currently installed on the system from the
              sources enumerated in
              /etc/apt/sources.list.  Packages currently installed
              with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded;
              under no circumstances are
              currently installed packages removed, or packages not
              already installed retrieved and installed. New versions
              of currently installed
              packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the
              install status of another package will be left at their
              current version. An update
              must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new
              versions of packages are available.

       dist-upgrade
              dist-upgrade, in addition to performing the function of
              upgrade, also intelligently handles changing
              dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has
              a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will
              attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
              expense of less important ones if necessary.  The
              /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations
              from which to retrieve desired package files.

-Nathan