[TriLUG] kmail cannot send mail

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 19 14:47:18 EDT 2002

Roadrunner does not do Authenticated SMTP.  All they do is check that
you are coming from one of their networks (or subnetworks as is the case
with Earthlink via cable).

So, if you are attached to the internet via Roadrunner you can simply
drop off mail - no login.

If you are at a remote clients or in a hotel, you will have to check
with the client or the hotel and change your smtp host to the
appropriate server used for that purpose.

At a former company, I ran smtp via a high port on one of my firewalls
and worked for everyone, everywhere.  As long as the spammers didn't
find it, that was cool (of course I also did extensive monitoring).

At TriLUG, Tanner is bringing up an authenticated SMTP so your TriLUG
account should be good anywhere - but you will have to authenticate.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes