[TriLUG] OT: wall mounted PCs?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Sep 23 09:59:39 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 09:52, Greg Brown wrote:
> Since handhelds.org was down all weekend I could not upgrade my iPAQ to
> Linux so I came up with something different to think about (but I'll still
> preform the upgrade, and write up a how-to for the future how-to section).
>
> Anyway, my computers are located in my bonus room, and that room is fairly
> small.  The computers that sit in the standard cases all over the floor are
> in the way quite often so I came up with the idea of mounting them to the
> wall.
>
> What I'd like to do is find a way to mount the motherboard, power supply, and
> drives to a board painted to match the wall then cover the thing in
> plexiglass (to protect from anyone touching the thing and giving it a static
> shock.  I'd also like to put some of those groovy computer power supply run
> neon lights inside the plexiglass case.
>
> Does this seem like it would work?  Other than providing a common ground and
> keeping static off the computer does the case really do anything?  It seems
> that cooling slits could be cut into the top of the plexiglass case and fans
> added to the bottom to pull in cooler air and let the hot air out.

Surely. At one of my previous jobs, the Novell servers were simply
motherboards, disks, and power supplies sitting on top of phone books.

Needless to say, the l33t case modifiers of the world have done far more
than simply plexiglass encasings. One of my hallmates in college had a
pc in a plexiglass cube, and it ran fine.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> Red Hat Sales Engineer
Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator (LCA)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot