[TriLUG] Suse releases exchange server clone ($999) no client licenses

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 24 07:53:14 EDT 2002

It's also worthy to note that this is now the cheapest drop-in
replacement for an Exchange server. It's 40% cheaper than the previous
Linux solution. This may not be a mile-stone for Open Source, but it is
certainly one for the evolution of Linux in the workplace.

Migrating folks off of proprietary MS solutions is made difficult by
their dependence on Exchange. If you remove the Exchange dependency then
you break the strongest lock that MS has on small and medium sized
businesses.

Also, this adds more competition into that market - which drops prices
and encourages better more responsive programming and services.  It's a
big deal for Linux to have these solutions available and actively being
developed. It's also a big deal to contractors (like me) who setup Linux
based services for folks - or even help them migrate off of MS products
over to cheaper Linux based solutions.

The next nice thing will be when LDAP (or some Directory Services) is
fully functional and supported with easy installations and
administration.

Jon Carnes