[TriLUG] Suse releases exchange server clone ($999) no client licenses

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Tue Sep 24 09:53:30 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, September 24, 2002, at 07:53 AM, Jon Carnes wrote:

> The next nice thing will be when LDAP (or some Directory Services) is
> fully functional and supported with easy installations and
> administration.

That isn't too far off, actually.

Setting up LDAP is more manual than it needs to be.  The thing is,
OpenLDAP is so open ended that it lets you do whatever you want with it
instead of railroading you through one or more recommended
configurations.  I think if you've got a package-based distro that has
already installed OpenLDAP but not configured it yet, it might be a
good job for a perl or python script to handle the initial
configuration and set up the framework for it to run in a fairly
standardized way.

I've set up LDAP to function as a back end to Samba in replacing a
Windows PDC and while it is not as easy as setting up Samba by itself,
I think it could be scriptable.

Unfortunately LDAP seems to be lacking the caliber of admin tools that
a Windows admin is used to dealing with.  The GUI tools that are out
there are IMHO pretty bad, and sometimes don't cleanly interoperate
with OpenLDAP.  I haven't personally seen a lot of progress on this
front.  However, if you are halfway decent with PHP, it might not be
too difficult to build an admin tool with a web based front end.  PHP
has all the necessary hooks built in to fully integrate with OpenLDAP
(once OpenLDAP is initially configured and started).