[TriLUG] Lulu Heat

Michael Winslow Czeiszperger michael at czeiszperger.org
Sat Sep 28 08:30:03 EDT 2002

On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 07:38 AM, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:

> I'm sorry that you had trouble with the heat. Unfortunately the circus
> couldn't really do any more than they have (fans here and there).

Pick another venue, perhaps?

> I haven't been to the shows that you mentioned above - I have only been
> to a MacWorld.

There's quite of a few organizations that deal with technology and
creativity that have been putting on conferences for more than a decade
and have honed the process until it works.These are just some
conferences I've attended, so I'm sure there's plenty of others.

SIGGRAPH - The Association for Computing Machinery's Special Interest
Group on Graphics puts on this show. It is huge, with 30,000+
attendees. Great technical talks, coupled with exhibits of the coolest
new graphics technology, and a big animation show.

International Computer Music Conference --  Interesting mix of
composers and computer scientists. Lots of hands on time with cool
software, great panel discussions, and a concert every night. Very
small, though, with only about 500-1000 attending. Just a few vendors,
so its relatively uncommercial.

National Association of Music Merchants --  This show is twice a year,
once in LA and once in Chicago. The big show in LA is attended by
35,000+ Since its specifically a vendor show the emphasis is on
product, but where else can you wander the halls and check out all your
favorite musicians trying out the latest gear?  And I mean everything.
There isn't a manufacturer of music related gear that doesn't attend,
so you can see everything, and spend some time with the ones that
interest you. There's also a great concert every night.

Audio Engineering Society - A must attend if you're an engineer working
in the audio field. Very technical, with an emphasis on the publication
of papers.

Needless to say, all the shows were air conditioned :-)