[TriLUG] the best Linux news I've heard all month

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 29 20:33:56 EDT 2002

Check out this article:

<http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200209/27/eng20020927_104011.shtml>

It's a Chinese translated article.  It appears that China has developed
it's own chip - dubbed the Dragon Chip - and motherboard.  They are
running a version of Linux on the board and the server is dubbed
Soaring Dragon.  I'm not sure if the software is Red Flag Linux or not.

In any even this is great news.  We now have a chip which I presume
will not be supporting Microvomit's Palladium, which as we all know is
finding it's way into everything from the next generation Intel and AMD
chips to future hard drives.   If I can get my hardware from China I
won't be forced to bother with Intel, AMD, or any other company that
chooses to lick the dirt off Bill Gates' feet.

Looks like a side trip to China is in order the next time I travel to
Korea.

Greg