[TriLUG] Earthlink Cable Internet - any comments?

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 29 22:02:17 EDT 2002

On Sunday 29 September 2002 21:30, Jason Tower wrote:

I switched from Earthlink DSL to Earthlink Cable a few week ago.  That caused
them some heartburn at first.  I have a second phone line so they used that
number to make the change.  After the service was installed, I had to hard
reset my router applicance to make it forget about PPPoE.   I ran with both
DSL and Cable for 2 weeks.  When I called to turn off the DSL service, they
forgot to tell me about a change they made to my email service.  An hour on
the phone (mostly waiting) was all it took to get that straightened out.
Since then things have been cool.  That's about par for the Earthlink course
- changes can be bumpy at times.

DSL is 50/mn and Cable is 42/mn.  No brainer there - for me anyway.

I am not sorry to PPPoE go away.  I've always felt PPPoE was a waste of
bandwidth to accomodate a dial-up customer system to HS customers.

Cable has a higher download bandwidth advertised.

Cable is more stable that DSL.

Cable doesn't allow static IP addresses right now.  It will in the future.
DSL allows static addresses but it failed to work for me.

That's all that I can think of for now.

--
mueller, mike

The larger purpose of the economic order, including Wall Street, is to
support the material conditions for human existence, not to undermine and
destabilize them.

-Editorial, The Nation, August 19, 2002