[TriLUG] MS gets smart - strikes deal with universities

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 29 22:28:11 EDT 2002

On Sunday 29 September 2002 17:46, Jon Carnes wrote:
> Microsoft has made a deal with University of Nebraska and is looking to
> extend that to other Universities. The university pays a big lump sum
> for a licensing contract and then all the students can purchase
> Microsoft products at Employee prices: WinXP OS for $4.99, Office for
> $9.99, ...
>
> This is smart on a lot of levels.

Boy is it.  It seems that big lump sum is being divided amoungst the entire
student body in the form of a "computing fee".  Furthermore it seems the item
for sale is an upgrade, so the valuations of regularly priced item discussed
in the article are inflated.  This looks like a "placed" news item that was
either written or influenced by a PR firm.  I wonder if anyone has organized
a consortium of campus buyers to accumulate a hoard of this price-advantaged
software?

--
mueller, mike

The larger purpose of the economic order, including Wall Street, is to
support the material conditions for human existence, not to undermine and
destabilize them.

-Editorial, The Nation, August 19, 2002