[TriLUG] Lulu Heat

uzoma nwosu uzoma at audioverse.com
Mon Sep 30 01:19:11 EDT 2002

Disclaimer: Some of you may know that I have promoted events in the music biz and some tech parties myself.  I did not attend the event so this is second from folks whom I consider reliable.  I do know some of the organizers and got personal feedback from them.

So this is what I've gathered about Lulu:

1)  First effort or not, it was poorly organized.  When key folks are not there before the day opening to make sure everything is working right then there is a problem. It seems that key folks held all the vital information yet were unavailable to staff.

2)  For as big as the venue was and how small the crowd of attendees was, the temperature should not have been a problem--that is totally inexcusable.  I'm not trying to nitpick but that is a  public health issue.

3)  No one who worked this that I personally asked what this event was about could articulate it.  "Computers", "Legos", "DJ's", and "Tech stuff" were the terms used but nothing over and above that.  Exactly who are you trying to get to come to this?  That could be a marketing flaw.

4)  I'm not sure I understand how they were going to blow this event up.  If they had put the energy three weeks ago that they put in advertising the week of the event, you would have seen a great improvement in attendance.

I think that most of these problems will be solved during the postgame recap.  I hope that they continue forth and add more folks with experience to the team.

Just my input...

Uzoma