[TriLUG] Lulu Heat

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 30 10:15:03 EDT 2002

My thoughts:

I went Friday, around 1pm.  It was seriously hot and humid in there.  I
don't know how you could have concentrated on a training session.

Very few vendors.  No sign of local names like Intrex or Stay Online.  The
big 'professional' booths were Cingular and Sony/Ericsson.  Lego had a
large presence.  Everyone else was in small generic show booths.

The computer labs looked well equipped with loads of new Mac towers.

Lots of user groups represented.

Saturday was much more pleasant temperature-wise.  I came back at 11am for
the talk by Howard Rheingold.  I was expecting standing room only, instead
there were about 20 attendees total.

The swap fest that was supposed to be in Dorton Arena mysteriously
disappeared.  Some staffers said it was still on, the registration guys
said it was canceled.  No explanations.

A big kudos to the TriLug volunteers!  Especially the ones who suffered
through the heat/humidity on Friday.  Mr. Young has no grounds to complain.
If the user groups hadn't come out, the show wouldn't have been half the
size it was.

Overall, the Circus is off to a rocky start.  The vendor turnout was not
even up to the level of the small 'Computer Expo' that is held downtown.  I
think the circus motif scared off a lot of businesses.  The venue is
terrible unless the weather cooperates.  The show was under-promoted until
the last minute.

Hopefully they'll learn from this one and improve it for next year.  Mr.
Young lashing out at the user groups is not a good sign, though.  It will
be interesting to see how (if?) the Boston show comes off.

--Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net