[TriLUG] Tech Circus wrap-up

Lisa C. Boyd lcboyd at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 30 10:47:37 EDT 2002

Hey all!

I'm just starting a new thread because I'm getting lost in the others :)
I have read all of your comments. I'm compiling a list of things to
improve for the next one from all the comments given and should be
sitting down with some higher-ups for debriefing this week.

I'm with Mike - I was upset that Bob said that about users groups. I
think that TriLUG did an awesome job with the table - bringing all that
hardware, introducing people to Linux, getting Mandrake cds out there,
etc. Great stuff! I'm proud to be a member with you guys :) I'll let you
know what kind of response I get when I bring this up again!

This was a very unique experience. I've been to some trade shows before,
but never worked behind the scenes on any of them. I'm thankful that I
got to be apart of this one. I've learned a lot - the correct union way
to staple plastic to tables, stapling skirts on tables, hanging curtains
- but I digress. There was a lot of hard work that went into this show
by many people to make it what it was. Granted it wasn't perfect by any
means, but I do think they learned a lot by this one.

I was impressed with several things that I did see with the circus and I
think it's good for ya'll to hear some of the good stuff too. Some of
what I saw surprised me. Bob was roaming around the floor most of the
weekend. He pitched in and was helping the clean-up crew take down
everything - I never thought I'd see Bob rolling paper around those big
round theatre markers! He ate pizza with the crew at dinner time, and
one of the biggest surprises of all - he made his wife and daughter pay
to get into the show! All of the supervisors - managers pitched in to
help do the littlest things and to me that made it so much easier to
work with (not for!) them.

I know I keep saying this - but they are just starting out. They knew
there would be bugs to work out! I think one of the biggest problems was
(and I fell for this too) that most people thought that since Bob was
heading it up - that it was going to be Linux. This show was not
supposed to be *just* about Linux. It's about technology - all kinds of
technology! That - unfortunately - wasn't communicated well at all!

Sorry this turned out so long :) Those of you who saw me this weekend
know I love to talk! I had a blast meeting all of you and (if nothing
else) that was worth all the hard work! Keep those opinions coming to me
if you think of anything else!!

Lisa B.