[TriLUG] DSL vs Cable, et al.

Joshua Midkiff-Bedick joshua at gratedtech.com
Mon Sep 30 13:49:18 EDT 2002

Hello,

A Linux neophyte here.  I consult with small businesses in windows (strike
one) though and have looked at the cable/DSL options in Durham and Chapel
Hill quite a bit.  I'm a fan of static IPs so usually go with DSL, it makes
it easier to tunnel to a client site.  In Durham Verizon's ok, but I really
like britsys.com.  For $0.05 more than verizon I got a static IP.  Also,
when I noticed my DSL router go live I gave them a call and they added me to
the routing tables.  I was up 4-5 days before they said I would be.  They've
a very tech friendly support group and their rates are reasonable.  They
also charge the same for residential and business, a big plus.

I have noticed a few oddities with TWC (Time warner Cable) in this area.  It
doesn't seem to be real consistent.  Sometimes the connections are great and
other times they are molasses.  I seem to get more consistent service from
DSL.

One last item.  I've ad some bad experiences with BTI recently.  They did
exactly the opposite of what they were told at a client site.  Great rates,
but lousy listeners.

Thanks for the Mandrake 9.0 CDs this weekend.

Joshua

----

Joshua Bedick
Integrated Technology, Inc.