[TriLUG] Postfix plus Cyrus IMAP

Ken VanDine ken at bizrace.com
Mon Sep 30 17:23:56 EDT 2002

I can't help with the SMTP Auth stuff, but I would recommend checking out
web-cyradm for a web interface for account management.  I am using it now and am
pretty happy so far.  I uses a MySQL database for authentication and general
management.  So, you would need to build Postfix, SASL and Cyrus with mysql
support.  You can find it at:  http://www.web-cyradm.org/  There are also plans
for integration with IMP for password changes and vacation auto-responders.

I hope that helps.

--Ken

Quoting Joseph Tate <jtate at dragonstrider.com>:

> I'm trying to set up postfix plus Cyrus IMAP, but am running into some
> snags.
>
> My setup:
> Dell PowerEdge Server with dual ethernet and dual processor (933 PIII
> Zeons), 1gb memory, three  18 GB SCSI drives.  Two configured as
> software raid (mirrored).  Runs RH 7.3.
>
> My steps so far:
> I installed postfix from the 7.3 RPM.  Then rebuilt the RPM from source
> enabling SASL support--I wanted authenticated SMTP against an sasldb.
> I picked up the powertools 7.1 RPM of cyrus-imapd, then spent some time
> updating it to the last 2.0 release of imapd (2.0.16).  Got that to
> build and install.  Set up to authenticate using sasldb.
>
> What works:
> SMTP (non-authenticated, no SSLed)
> Checking mail with IMAP, IMAPS, POP3, POP3s.
>
> What doesn't work
> SMTP AUTH and SSL:
>     Transcript from a telnet port 25 session:
>         Escape character is '^]'.
>         EHLO dev.mi-messages.com
>         220 mail2.mi-corporation.com ESMTP Postfix
>         250-mail2.mi-corporation.com
>         250-PIPELINING
>         250-SIZE 10240000
>         250-VRFY
>         250-ETRN
>         250-XVERP
>         250 8BITMIME
>         AUTH LOGIN
>         503 Error: authentication not enabled
> Creating folders under IMAP/IMAPS
> MD5_CRAM (SPA) authentication using IMAP/POP3
>
> Before I beat my head into a bloody pulp on this configuration
> nightmare, does anyone have any suggestions.  Am I wasting my time
> trying to use RPMS?
>
> Joseph
>
> P.S.  I'd eventaully have some kind of web based administration tool to
> add users/change passwords, etc.  Any ideas?  I suppose I could write a
> plugin for webmin.

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

Ken