[TriLUG] java ttf fonts -- solved

H Brett Bolen wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 1 10:17:48 EDT 2002

H Brett Bolen wrote:
> java question, folks....
>
> I have some custom fonts that my java program needs to use.
>
> The font is loaded by X ( ie XLoadQueryFont(), XSetFont()), and
> used via XDrawString():
>
>    char ch = 'C';
>    XDrawString( _display, __curOvly, _symbolGC, x,y, &ch,1);
>
> I want to do the same thing using java.
>
> The indexes into this font are strange.  The 'Symbol'
> font  is the same way.  The first index used is 913, and the
> chars to up to about 980 with a few gaps.  The next valid
> characters are between 8700 and 8900.  X and Java also see
> a different ordering between the fonts.

I found it I loaded the ttf font directly -- bypassing X's
font server:

:     FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream("MyFont.ttf");
:     Font dFont = Font.createFont( Font.TRUETYPE_FONT, fis);
:     thisFont = dFont.deriveFont((float) size);

That the indexes will be correct.  For some reason going through
the X's font server was causing the problem.