[TriLUG] quota issues

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 1 10:49:49 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 10:19, Janyne Kizer wrote:
> I think that repquota and quota <userid> are reporting incorrect
> information on one of our systems.  Is there a way to query for
> ownership to see that it is looking at and confirm?

In answer to your direct question, you can also look for files owned by
a given user ID with the "find" command.  For example, this command will
find everything owned by UID 500 in the /home directory, pipe it through
"ls" to get the size, and then sort by size, largest files first:
	find /home -uid 500 -print0 | xargs -0 ls -sd | sort -nr

Note the use of the "-print0" option to find and "-0" to xargs.  This
eliminates problems with filenames that have spaces in them.

There may be a way to make find show the size directly, instead of
piping through xargs and ls, but I'm in the habit of find and xargs, so
the above comes naturally to me.

--Jeremy