[TriLUG] Mozilla mess

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Oct 1 11:15:51 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 10:01, Daniel Monjar wrote:
> OK... what, then, is the right way to upgrade my RH 7.3 laptop's version of
> the GNU compiler collection to 3.2?  I pulled down the tarball, compiled it
> and installed it to /usr/local/bin... how do I get rid of the 2.96 version
> that was installed via rpm?

I love this sort of question, we see it a LOT on #redhat (with gcc
substituted for kde, or gnome2, etc, etc, etc).

A good real life analogy to this question would be:

Question:
I want to put Monster Truck tires on my 1990 Ford Festiva
<http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/bm/images/90festiva.jpg>. Why
can't I just put Monster Truck tires on it? It came with tires, why
should this be hard?

Answer:
If you're a skilled mechanic, or experienced in modifications of this
sort, you can get Monster Truck tires on anything, including that 1990
Ford Festiva. Be warned, it is not as simple as merely taking off the
original tires and attaching the new ones. However, it was never
intended to run with Monster Truck tires, and if you really want
something with Monster Truck tires, we'd recommend that you buy a
Monster Truck instead.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> Red Hat Sales Engineer
Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator (LCA)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot