[TriLUG] Server design help request

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Wed Oct 2 23:48:18 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 23:27, Mike Mueller wrote:
> Is it possible to host  1 or more domains with very little traffic, an
> experimental mail list, a mail server, file and printer sharing, and an
> Internet gateway using a cable modem and a single AMD Duron 700Mhz with 128MB
> and 10G disk (shared file system requirements are small)?  What are the risks
> with this approach?  If more boxes were available, how would the services be
> split up?

I'm doing what you are asking on a DSL connection, for 3 domains, on a
AMD K6-2 450 and 384M of RAM.  I also have a firewall to keep people
from seeing my internal network. If you are using either a hardware or
software firewall it should provide port forwarding so you can split up
your services to other machines if you need to.

Bet you would outgrow your cable bandwith before you would peg the
machine, unless you have a lot of database driven apps running.

Peace.

john