[TriLUG] Lulu Code Monkey job - sounds pretty open

Michael Winslow Czeiszperger michael at czeiszperger.org
Thu Oct 3 07:36:56 EDT 2002

Why would a company advertise for a position using an insulting term?
Do they really want a lower primate, or are they just using the term
because it sounds hip?

 From the Jargon Dictionary:

code monkey     n     1. A person only capable of grinding out code,
but unable to perform the higher-primate tasks of software
architecture, analysis, and design. Mildly insulting. Often applied to
the most junior people on a programming team. 2. Anyone who writes code
for a living; a programmer. 3. A self-deprecating way of denying
responsibility for a management decision, or of complaining about
having to live with such decisions. As in "Don't ask me why we need to
write a compiler in+COBOL, I'm just a code monkey."