[TriLUG] Server design help request

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 3 08:04:48 EDT 2002

Mike Mueller wrote:
> Is it possible to host  1 or more domains with very little traffic, an
> experimental mail list, a mail server, file and printer sharing, and an
> Internet gateway using a cable modem and a single AMD Duron 700Mhz with 128MB
> and 10G disk (shared file system requirements are small)?  What are the risks
> with this approach?  If more boxes were available, how would the services be
> split up?

I'm doing just what you've described.  I'm hosting several domains
with RH 7.2, Apache, Postfix, Mailman and Pro-FTP.  It also uses
ipchains to serve as my gateway/firewall for 2 wireless notebooks.
I'm using a Pentium 120 with 128M and about 800M of disk.

As far as the risks, IMHO they are minimal...as long as you keep up with
the security updates.  It is worth noting, however, that when I installed
RH, I turned off every service that wasn't absolutely necessary.  Actually,
I turned off several that were necessary, too (oops!).  My server has been
running for about 2 years.  Whenever someone on this list screams loudly
about a recent security scare, I login and do an update.
No problems so far.

Chris

--
Chris Merrill