[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Thu Oct 3 10:20:25 EDT 2002

it's a little trickier when you're behind a nat device since the ddns
client cannot simply read the ethernet interface directly to see if the
IP address has changed.  one approach is to employ a nat device with
built-in ddns support (some inexpensive netgear routers have it, as do
smoothwall and ipcop).

the other method is to roll your own if you're handy with that sort of
thing.  you can easily find your nat public address (which is what you
care about) by browsing to checkip.dyndns.org, if you can write a little
script to hit that periodically, parse the IP address, compare it to the
previous value, and send an update if it is different, you can achieve
the same results.  odds are someone has already done this before, a
google search will probably turn up some results.

and of course, after all this you have to set up port forwarding on the
nat device to point unsolicited inbound traffic to the private IP
address of your choice.  almost all nat devices support this in some
fashion.

jason