[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 3 10:52:35 EDT 2002

Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> All the questions around using dyndns.org's services intrigues me. My
> question is, with their service, or another like it, can you host from
> behind a masquerading firewall? Did I miss something when I read their
> site?

This leads me to another question...I host multiple domains from
my server.  From my (limited) understanding of Apache, in order
to use virtual domains, I had to configure the IP address in
httpd.conf.  This means that anytime the IP address changes, I
had to change httpd.conf.  I was able to hook into dhcp and get
a script run when this happens...and wrote a script to change
the IP address in httpd.conf and restart apache.

So my questions are:
1) Is there an easier way to do this?
2) Would this be possible if I had a firewall/NAT box in between
    the server and the cable-modem?

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com