[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Oct 3 12:22:02 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 10:52, Chris Merrill wrote:

> This leads me to another question...I host multiple domains from
> my server.  From my (limited) understanding of Apache, in order
> to use virtual domains, I had to configure the IP address in
> httpd.conf.  This means that anytime the IP address changes, I
> had to change httpd.conf.  I was able to hook into dhcp and get
> a script run when this happens...and wrote a script to change
> the IP address in httpd.conf and restart apache.

You should not put the IP address in httpd.conf (unless you're using the
old-style IP-address based virtual domains, with multiple IP addresses,
which is unlikely).  Instead, put the fully qualified domain name (FQDN)
for the "ServerName" section of your httpd.conf. (Presumably this would
not change regularly.)

The ServerName (and ServerAlias) section(s) determine which virtual
configuration goes which which virtual domain, based on the "Host:"
header sent by the browser.  Note that this means every virtual host
will probably have "<VirtualHost *>" to open the virtual host container,
but will then contain an appropriate ServerName or ServerAlias.

You might also look at the graphical Apache configurator provided by Red
Hat in RHL 8.0 -- it should do virtual domains.  I can't recall what the
name of the binary is for this, sorry.

--Jeremy