[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Oct 3 12:27:19 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 11:57, Mike Mueller wrote:
> I am researching this right now too.  Port forwarding on the firewall/NAT
> seems to be the thing to do from what I've read so far.  Port 80 (httpd)
> might be blocked on your ISP so you may need to get the dynamic dns to
> translate port 80 to some other port number.

Huh?  DNS is responsible for changing the hostname to an IP address.  It
has nothing to do with port numbers.   NAT/masquerading firewalls can
change port numbers, but that's unrelated to DNS.

And do any ISPs really block port 80?  I think that's more of a myth
than reality.

>  If you want to support multiple
> domains will you need to select a port for each domain?

No, that's what name-based virtual hosting is for.  See my other recent
post and Mark's.  Old-style virtual hosting uses an different real IP
address for each domain, which is very uncommon today due to IP address
scarcity and the ease of name-based virtual hosting.

> I know almost
> nothing about Apache.  Can a single instance of Apache serve multiple domains
> that are associated with different ports?

Yes, it can, but that's not really what you want to do.  (The Listen
directive in httpd.conf will make Apache listen on multiple ports.)

--Jeremy