[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Thu Oct 3 12:35:51 EDT 2002

> to use virtual domains, I had to configure the IP address in
> httpd.conf.  This means that anytime the IP address changes, I
> had to change httpd.conf.

> So my questions are:
> 1) Is there an easier way to do this?
> 2) Would this be possible if I had a firewall/NAT box in between
>     the server and the cable-modem?

I'm hosting a couple (virtual) domains behind a NAT connection. I've got
the firewall forwarding external-ip requests to the server's internal
address (192.168.1.99). That IP I've got hard-coded in the
conf/vhosts/Vhost.conf config file that's used by httpd.conf.

I followed the examples here (for apache 1.3)

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/examples.html

I believe your original premise of IP -> domain linking is correct,
but the situation's made easier being behind a NATted connection
where you get to control the IP.

Cheers
- Mark