[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Oct 3 12:45:23 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 12:35, Mark Kempster wrote:

> I'm hosting a couple (virtual) domains behind a NAT connection. I've got
> the firewall forwarding external-ip requests to the server's internal
> address (192.168.1.99). That IP I've got hard-coded in the
> conf/vhosts/Vhost.conf config file that's used by httpd.conf.
>
> I followed the examples here (for apache 1.3)
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/examples.html

You still don't need the IP address in the httpd.conf, unless the box
has multiple IP addresses.  Just use "NameVirtualHost *" and
"<VirtualHost *>" in the appropriate locations.  The * will indicate
"this directive applies to every IP address that Apache is listening on"
which is exactly what you want.  In general, there should be very few
reasons to hard-code an IP address in ANY configuration file.

Notice that the "Simple" examples on that page don't use the IP address
at all.  This is as it should be.

--Jeremy