[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 3 12:49:22 EDT 2002

Mike Mueller wrote:
 >>Chris Merrill wrote:
>>So my questions are:
>>1) Is there an easier way to do this?
>>2) Would this be possible if I had a firewall/NAT box in between
>>    the server and the cable-modem?
>
> I am researching this right now too.  Port forwarding on the firewall/NAT
> seems to be the thing to do from what I've read so far.  Port 80 (httpd)
> might be blocked on your ISP so you may need to get the dynamic dns to
> translate port 80 to some other port number.

Not by TWC-RR.

 > If you want to support multiple
> domains will you need to select a port for each domain?

No...virtual domains are supported Apache...as long as the browser
is new enough to send the "Host: www.xxx.com" header...which they are
unless you haven't updated your browser since 1997.

 > I know almost
> nothing about Apache.  Can a single instance of Apache serve multiple domains
> that are associated with different ports?

It can...but doesn't need to.

I can't help with any of the other firewall/NAT questions :(

--
Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com