[TriLUG] Help a dummy setup web/ftp

Mark Turner markt at siteseers.net
Thu Oct 3 13:07:23 EDT 2002

Douglas Kojetin wrote:

> i.e. which services i should shut down on each box (ftp, web), what i
> should keep, any other security things

Rule of thumb: run ONLY what you need. Script kiddies can't exploit what
they can't get to.

Red Hat still thinks every Linux box must run a sendmail daemon. That is
always the first one I disable. There are plenty of others. See the
"Rule Of Thumb" above. :-)

Also, apply the latest patches. There are a bunch for 7.3. For this
reason, you may as well install 8.0 (and patches, if any), because it
may be less work.

One last thing: have another admin check your work. If this is your
first time, you can probably use an extra set of eyes.

Mark
--
   Mark Turner, N4JMT   Siteseers Inc.
   www.markturner.net   Open Source Solutions