[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Oct 3 13:35:30 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 13:27, Chris Merrill wrote:

> To further complicate the setup, I want anything that comes in
> without a hostname (e.g. accessing using just the IP addresss,
> like (http://24.162.245.149) to be directed to a 3rd website...
> I dunno if that has any affect on the other settings (it's been
> at least 18 months since I configured all this).

You can do that.  An IP address by itself in the URL can be considered
just another virtual domain, since it's sent in the Host: header as
well.  Set it up in the ServerName or ServerAlias sections of the
<VirtualHost *> container, and that should work fine.  (You may also
notice issues with using shortened host-names on the local network --
like "http://www/" instead of "http://www.exmaple.com/" -- this can be
solved the same way.)

If you don't configure the IP adddress version in a VirtualHost, it will
use the "default server" concept (the directives that aren't in
<VirtualHost> containers will be used to serve the web site).

Sorry if this extended Apache discussion is getting off-topic for
TriLUG...

--Jeremy