[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Thu Oct 3 13:36:57 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 16:45, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> You still don't need the IP address in the httpd.conf, unless the box
> has multiple IP addresses.  Just use "NameVirtualHost *" and
> "<VirtualHost *>" in the appropriate locations.

So, could I have been more incorrect in reading the examples?
Blech. And that was the simple one, no less...

It's good to be a newbie (in many things) on this list.
So much to learn!

On a separate but related topic, I'm petrified about attempting to
bring up externally-accessible smtp; avoiding the creation of a spam
relay tops the list. Is some form of authenticated smtp the way to go?
Most of the googling I've done leads me to binding the fetching of mail
(via pop or imap) to the sending.

Is this generally accepted (and advised) practice?

Any software preferences? I'm hoping to do smtp and imaps, if that makes
a difference.

Cheers
(and thanks)
- Mark