[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Ken Mink kmink at hotpop.com
Thu Oct 3 14:29:30 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 12:43, Bill Vinson wrote:
<SNIP>

> Actually, that isn't completely correct. DNS has nothing to do with it
> but Dynamic DNS services do. Some of these service will take foo.bar.com
> and point it to 24.25.74.36:8080. So, yes DynamicDNS can take ports into
> consideration, but it is not actually part of the DNS system that you
> are thinking of.

Can I get more detail on how this works, 'cause I'm really skeptical. If
you're really saying the DynamicDNS services are doing web redirection,
I'll buy it. But if my application tries to do a socket connect to
foo.bar.com port 80, resolver won't change the port number on me after
doing the lookup.

<SNIP AGAIN>

Ken