[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Oct 3 14:38:00 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 14:29, Ken Mink wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 12:43, Bill Vinson wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> > Actually, that isn't completely correct. DNS has nothing to do with it
> > but Dynamic DNS services do. Some of these service will take foo.bar.com
> > and point it to 24.25.74.36:8080. So, yes DynamicDNS can take ports into
> > consideration, but it is not actually part of the DNS system that you
> > are thinking of.
>
> Can I get more detail on how this works, 'cause I'm really skeptical. If
> you're really saying the DynamicDNS services are doing web redirection,
> I'll buy it. But if my application tries to do a socket connect to
> foo.bar.com port 80, resolver won't change the port number on me after
> doing the lookup.

Right -- the DNS resolver is a completely independent process from the
socket and the network conection itself, whether it be TCP, UDP, ICMP,
or whatever.  DNS itself has absolutely nothing to do with port
numbers.  I think the confusion comes from web-redirection services
marketed by companies that also provide dynamic DNS services.

--Jeremy, who loves it when marketing departments say their products
work on "Linux 7.3".  Huh?  Similar miscommunication!