[TriLUG] In search of the walled machine at UNC

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Thu Oct 3 16:42:24 EDT 2002

On a hunch I followed a couple of other leads.

I seemed to recall that UNC was rumored to have paid Novell to help
them find this lost server.

Sure enough, Novell makes minor reference to this on their web site:
http://www.novell.com/customers/smallbusiness/news/102001/
realitycheck.html

If this is a hoax, Novell is helping to perpetuate it.

The earliest reference I could find was April 9, 2001.

Sadly, I can find no reference to it within the unc.edu domain.

Thunder Bear
Tribal Shaman
The Great Upchuckee Nation

IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is
confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons
with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious
beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email is not authorised (either
explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context
somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or no
grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the
transmission of this email, although the kelpie next door is living on
borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming fear
of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden
message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that
Alert Notice from Microsoft.

However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your
computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you
have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg and egg
whites, whisk and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.