[TriLUG] Questions on dyndns.org

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Oct 3 18:22:24 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 18:08, Mike Mueller wrote:

> Actually analogies can be flawed.  For instance, 800 service is served by two
> levels of databases along with a GTT database to help find the databases.
> When a switch is translating an 800 number it launches a query to a GTT
> service that actually rewrites the query at the datalink level and redirects
> the query to the database that informs the switch of the service provider
> that has the 800 number. Then a second query is launched using the point code
> of the 800 service provider's 800 database to get the actual phone number.
> This system was implemented to support 800 number portability so an 800
> number can be served by AT&T or Sprint at the 800 number payer's discretion.
> Now the same portability scheme is being applied to land lines.  Soon it will
> applied to wireless numbers.  This is kind of like DNS but there are some
> things that are not like DNS either.

I understand that the technical details are different.  I was referring
to the conceptual idea that DNS deals with IP addresses only, not port
numbers, which I'm sure you understand just fine.  Just like an 800
number deals with phone numbers, not whether you use a fax or voice.
:-)  I'll stop beating this dead horse.  Maybe there are some newbies on
the list who benefited from this discussion, however... :-)

--Jeremy