[TriLUG] In search of the walled machine at UNC

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Fri Oct 4 09:59:29 EDT 2002

Yeah you're right, I just wonder where Novell got the story from?  I'm
almost certain if this actually happened some messages would have been
sent to some large mailing lists like the CTC or the support list (also a
news group, unc.support).  Oh well.

Jeff

On 4 Oct 2002, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 09:47, Jeff Bollinger wrote:
> > True other departments sometimes manages portions of their network ,
> > though ATN owns or knows about every tier I switch and switch port on
> > campus.  They also maintain the core and all the links.
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> True, but the way this story reads, this could have just been
> a small department file server.  Also, since it was a Novell
> server, it could have been several years ago.  I'm still not
> convinced one way or another.  Unfortunately, in the absence
> of positive proof, I'm afraid that's probably where I'll
> stay, since it's impossible to prove a negative.
>
> Tanner

Jeff Bollinger
University of North Carolina
IT Security Analyst