[TriLUG] In search of the walled machine at UNC

Thomas C. Meggs tom at plik.net
Fri Oct 4 11:14:04 EDT 2002

As far as I know Comp Sci and Physics still do a lot of their own thing,
I don't know of any other departments. There probably some small groups
that have their own services running.

However, ATN manages all of the networking to the wall plate for
everybody, so that's why they would have been most likely involved in
the tracking down of a missing Novell server. That still doesn't mean
that someone didn't have some old wiring somewhere that they were still
managing that was plugging into an ATN switch. The Physics department
had a lot of its own wiring until just a few months ago.

What comes to mind immediately when I hear Novell is that it is very
often used in medical environments, and the Med School could very well
have had a Novell server hiding away somewhere doing something inane.

As far as Novell taking credit for finding the server, it could have
even just been a Novell contractor on site helping out with a support
issue, they didn't neccesarily have to utilize any black magic. :)

Regards,
Tom

| Jeff,
|
| ATN isn't the only group at UNC that has computer networks, right?
| CompSci has their own group.  ILS has their own group.  How many
| other departments have (or used to have) their own group too?  How
| confident are you that this didn't happen in some department that
| handles (or used to handle) their own networking?  From what I remember
| when I was a grad student in CompSci, the CompSci people seemed to
| pretty much do their own thing.
|
| Tanner

- --
$Id: .sig,v 1.17 2002/08/21 13:12:32 tom Exp $

pub  1024D/87F1C20F 2001-11-15 Thomas C. Meggs <tom at plik.net>
Key fingerprint = 5E9A D535 B9DA A889 984B  9654 2025 409B 87F1 C20F

"It was funny with coffee.  Sometimes it did nothing for
him, and actually made him weak. But sometimes it really
made him feel like God."
	- from "Miguel", short story by Dan Bern