[TriLUG] In search of the walled machine at UNC

Thomas C. Meggs tom at plik.net
Fri Oct 4 11:15:54 EDT 2002

My threading was b0rked, I didn't see that the dialog had continued on
before I sent that last message. :)

Regards,
Tom

Jeff Bollinger wrote:
| Yeah you're right, I just wonder where Novell got the story from?  I'm
| almost certain if this actually happened some messages would have been
| sent to some large mailing lists like the CTC or the support list (also a
| news group, unc.support).  Oh well.
|
| Jeff
|
| On 4 Oct 2002, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
|

|>On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 09:47, Jeff Bollinger wrote:
|>
|>>True other departments sometimes manages portions of their network ,
|>>though ATN owns or knows about every tier I switch and switch port on
|>>campus.  They also maintain the core and all the links.
|>>
|>>Jeff
|>>

|>True, but the way this story reads, this could have just been
|>a small department file server.  Also, since it was a Novell
|>server, it could have been several years ago.  I'm still not
|>convinced one way or another.  Unfortunately, in the absence
|>of positive proof, I'm afraid that's probably where I'll
|>stay, since it's impossible to prove a negative.
|>
|>Tanner
|>

| Jeff Bollinger
| University of North Carolina
| IT Security Analyst
| 105 Abernethy Hall
| mailto: jeff_bollinger at unc dot edu

| TriLUG Organizational FAQ:
|     http://www.trilug.org/~lovelace/faq/TriLUG-faq.html

- --
$Id: .sig,v 1.17 2002/08/21 13:12:32 tom Exp $

pub  1024D/87F1C20F 2001-11-15 Thomas C. Meggs <tom at plik.net>
Key fingerprint = 5E9A D535 B9DA A889 984B  9654 2025 409B 87F1 C20F

"It was funny with coffee.  Sometimes it did nothing for
him, and actually made him weak. But sometimes it really
made him feel like God."
	- from "Miguel", short story by Dan Bern