[TriLUG] In search of the walled machine at UNC

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 4 12:41:59 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 11:14, Thomas C. Meggs wrote:

> What comes to mind immediately when I hear Novell is that it is very
> often used in medical environments, and the Med School could very well
> have had a Novell server hiding away somewhere doing something inane.
>
> As far as Novell taking credit for finding the server, it could have
> even just been a Novell contractor on site helping out with a support
> issue, they didn't neccesarily have to utilize any black magic. :)
>
> Regards,
> Tom

I read this story in the paper when it happened.  The computer was at
the Medical school.  They had some quotes from the Administrator of the
Med School.  Apparently their network and machines had been installed by
multiple contractors over a lot of time and no one was fully up-to-date
on everything on their net.

If this is a hoax then it was an elaborate one that fooled the News and
Observer.

I did some work for the Med school back when I was a contractor.  Some
of the buildings were in horrible shape.  They looked like a giant
kindergartner had taken a couple of Victorian houses and crammed them
together.  There were corridors that didn't go anywhere, hallways with
steps that mysteriously carried you up four feet then right back down
again to *almost* the same level - where the hallway continued - Windows
that opened up onto solid brick walls...

I could easily believe that a server was drywalled over and forgotten
about.

Jon Carnes