[TriLUG] Why is arp from cron different?

Jerry gordon at med.unc.edu
Fri Oct 4 13:19:40 EDT 2002

Hello,
	I have found that arp produces no output if arp is in a script called
by a file in cron.d in Red Hat Linux 7.2 using /bin/bash.
1) arp from the command line produces the expected output
2) in a script
	V1=`arp`; echo $V1 > out
   produces the expected output in the file named "out"
3) the same script called by cron by placing a file in /etc/cron.d
produces no output in the file named "out"
4) if I substitute
	cat /proc/net/arp
   for arp then I get output from a script called from cron

My question is "Why does arp behave differently when in a script called
by cron?"

	Thanks very much,
Jerry
--
Gerald W. Gordon, Ph.D.
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology

919/966-2941 (vox)
919/966-1856 (fax)
Gordon at med.unc.edu (email)