[TriLUG] RH8 and Evolution Problem

Ilan Volow listboy at clarux.com
Sun Oct 6 19:07:57 EDT 2002

On 06 Oct 2002 00:13:01 -0400
Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 23:53, Bill Vinson wrote:
> > I have already updated XMMS here under
> > RH8 to support mp3 and this is not enough to make me ignore RH's
> > other advantages for me over the likes of Mandrake...
> >
> > Bill
>
> Odd how I've never considered lack of support for IPSec and other
> cryptographic features to be an *advantage*! But I can see where you
> might like the less intuitive GUI interface that comes standard with
> Red Hat...
>
> Let the distro Jihad begin.
>
> Jon

Mandrake's installer uses non-standard, ambiguous star-shaped widgets
for things like radio buttons and check boxes, uses two shades of blue
for the foreground and background that have almost no difference in
contrast, and denotes progress through the installation by whether a
large, ball shaped list bullet is green or red (which kinds of screws
over the red-green color-blind people). Or translated from HCIese to
Geekish, Mandrake's usability really sucks.

Not that I'm not defending Red Hat Linux as a distro or saying that the
folks on Centennial are really any less incompetant from a usability
standpoint than Mandrake (Anaconda's confusing hierarchical radio button
layout for installation classes was utter foolishness), but Mandrake has
a hell of a lot of dirty laundry in the user-friendliness department as
all other distros do, so I think that the idea of a distro war between
Red Hat supporters and Mandrake supporters is silly; as all sides are
evil bastards in the user-friendliness department, I'd like to see all
of them get their asses kicked.

I've gotten so disgusted with the situation of the usability of all
linux distros sucking that I've added a stipulation to the public
license I'm writing that bans linux all current linux distributions from
distributing or modifying my code or copying any unique UI features (but
allows other individuals to do modify, distribute, and copy unique UI
features freely). I've already revealed too much of my twisted plot to
make linux usable, so I'll shut up now ;)

-------

Ilan Volow,
listboy at clarux.com

My choice after I quit film school was either to be a script writer for
porno flicks or a linux UI designer. And to tell you the truth, there's
hardly any difference.