[TriLUG] RH8 and Evolution Problem

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Sun Oct 6 21:03:35 EDT 2002

A Diumenge 06 Octubre 2002 19:07, Ilan Volow va escriure:
> On 06 Oct 2002 00:13:01 -0400

> Mandrake's installer uses non-standard, ambiguous star-shaped widgets
> for things like radio buttons and check boxes, uses two shades of
> blue for the foreground and background that have almost no difference
> in contrast, and denotes progress through the installation by whether
> a large, ball shaped list bullet is green or red (which kinds of
> screws over the red-green color-blind people). Or translated from
> HCIese to Geekish, Mandrake's usability really sucks.

Y'all know that I like Mandrake as my desktop. Having said that:

Mandrake installer is greatly improveable, from GUI-designer point of
view. It looks nice... but it is not functional and it is not
self-evident. To me, MDK's installer seems a project totally separated
from Mandrake's software developers.

In short, it kinda sucks.

But then, I like thier distro.

> Not that I'm not defending Red Hat Linux as a distro or saying that
> the folks on Centennial are really any less incompetant from a
> usability standpoint than Mandrake (Anaconda's confusing hierarchical
> radio button layout for installation classes was utter foolishness),
> but Mandrake has a hell of a lot of dirty laundry in the
> user-friendliness department as all other distros do, so I think that
> the idea of a distro war between Red Hat supporters and Mandrake
> supporters is silly; as all sides are evil bastards in the
> user-friendliness department, I'd like to see all of them get their
> asses kicked.

I like far better Red Hat's installer program. ALthough there are areas
that can be greatly improved. I entered my own little colelction of
bugs and improvement requests back when I was part of the Centennial
crew (Morgan Borgan!  whassup Mike?  :)

All of the current Linux distributions can improve on user friendliness
for the non-geek users. But this is OK. Linux, needs challenges and
stuff to be fixed, so we can keep improving Linux.

Also, if everything were prefect, what fun would we have?

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.2 - Kernel  2.4.18-8.1mdk    Linux Machine # 38068