[TriLUG] help! weird sendmail problem

Stephen Schaefer stephen_schaefer27517 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 7 12:18:52 EDT 2002

About the DNS situation: assuming you've got a home
roadrunner connection (business connections included a
static IP and a $256 monthly bill; I don't know
anything more about them):

The roadrunner folks do have a DNS name for your
computer:

$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
00:00:21:EB:26:6B
          inet addr:66.57.243.249
[ other stuff elided ]
$ dig -t ptr 249.243.57.66.in-addr.arpa
[ elided ]
;; ANSWER SECTION:
249.243.57.66.in-addr.arpa. 3600 IN	PTR
rdu57-243-249.nc.rr.com.
[ elided ]

So, Road Runner has assigned my machine the
imaginative name of rdu57-243-249 in the domain
nc.rr.com.

$ dig rdu57-243-249
[ elided ]
;; ANSWER SECTION:
rdu57-243-249.nc.rr.com. 3600	IN	A	66.57.243.249
[ elided ]

    - Stephen