[TriLUG] Slightly OT: *nix and XDMCP question

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 8 14:28:26 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 14:20, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> I have a Solaris box OUTSIDE my firewall that has openSSH installed. I know
> there is a way to tunnel XDMCP calls through OpenSSH, but I've never done it
> before. I need to be able to get out to the server with W2K machines as well
> as RHL 7.x machines.

Do you really mean XDMCP, or just X?  XDMCP is for running a remote
desktop -- ie, a whole window-managed session -- while X itself is used
for displaying the individual windows.

If you're running X on your local Linux box, all you have to do is ssh
to the Solaris box and run the remote command, if you just want a single
app.  Do not adjust the DISPLAY variable, do not give -display
arguments, do not pass go.  It should "just work," unless you've
disabled X forwarding in either the ssh client or server.  If so, check
for the appropriate options -- it should be obvious.

For Windows clients, they'll need an X server of some sort installed.
The best/most common ones are non-free; I don't have any experience with
the free ones.

--Jeremy