[TriLUG] replacing a hard drive

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Wed Oct 9 11:40:47 EDT 2002

when i 'self-installed' RR a year or two ago, i seem to recall that i had
to install a win32 app on my windows box to initialize the cable modem or
something to that effect.  i think it had some sort of PPPoE client to
communicate with the central office so that it could "authorize" the mac
address of the cable modem and grant it access.  once that step was
complete, however, the app could be uninstalled and never used again, and
the cable modem acted as a dhcp server and handed out an address to the
first nic that requested it, win/lin/mac/bsd/whatever.

jason