[TriLUG] replacing a hard drive

Stephen Schaefer stephen_schaefer27517 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 12:19:46 EDT 2002

I self-installed about three years ago, when they gave
me a surfboard cable "modem".  I know I didn't use any
windows software, because I shred any of those satanic
bits that come into my house.  Seriously, the only M$
I've got is DOS 3.1 on a 80286, no network card.  From
my experience, the cable modem acts as an almost
transparent bridge, so all your Linux box needs is a
working DHCP client daemon.  I say "almost" because it
consumes one time-to-live hop on outgoing packets.

If you too have a surfboard, then for fun and giggles:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.100.10 up

Then point your web browser at 192.168.100.1.  I've
looked, but I've never, ever touched anything on the
surfboard.  The RR support I've talked to are Linux
hostile, and it seems they'd love nothing better than
to void my contract.  I've learned that when things go
wrong, the only thing I can do is turn the cable modem
off (unplug from wall power) and turn it back on.  The
other option is to wait, or start paying $256 a month
for business service.  Eventually your problem (which
is not your problem, but RR's) will get fixed because
their Microsoft clients will complain.  Calling them
does nothing but put me in danger of a stroke.
Unfortunately, they're also the fastest connection I
can get.

    - Stephen