[TriLUG] replacing a hard drive

Jeff Jackowski jeffj1 at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 9 12:21:32 EDT 2002

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Alan Ellis wrote:

>I am setting up this machine so I can work from home using RoadRunner,
>and now I find out that they will not give me the service with Linux OS
>unless I pay "business class."  Therefore I need dual boot.
>
>Grub boot loader is installed.  I want to replace hdb with a 3GB hard
>drive with /usr, linux-swap, and Win98 partitions.  Is there a
>reasonable way to copy the /usr files from the old hdb to the new one,
>perhaps by booting from a floppy with both of those drives installed?
>Or must I start installation from scratch?

If you must use Windows for the cable modem install, is there any reason
why you couldn't disconnect both drives in the system now, put in that 3GB
drive, install Windows on it, and put the current drives back afterwords?

When I got the cable modem installed, I went with the self install already
mentioned here. No one asked me what OS I was running, and I didn't
volunter the information. The installer guy never touched any of my
computers. If it makes any difference, the modem is a Surfboard 4100.

--
Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeffj/