[TriLUG] cable modem caps locally

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 9 13:32:57 EDT 2002

James Manning wrote:
 > thing, but it "feels" (since the speed stayed pretty much dead-on
 > constant) like it's a cap being done at the cable modem itself.

Does anyone know if this is the case?  I would think that the
bandwidth limitations would be enforeced at the concentrator
locations - to eliminate the temptation to tamper with the modems...

> Incidentally, the cable modem is this translucent green shark fin kind
> of thingy - a lot diff than the surfboard I had used at the old place.

With a bunch of lights and meaningless symbols on the 'fin'?
My sister has one of those.  Never did figure out which lights
were for what.  Not labeled anywhere.  It's amazing that 3Com (?)
could make such a simple device so difficult to use...and it's
damn ugly, too!  No wonder she had it hidden under the desk.
The old surfboards were plain...but at least they didn't shout
out "Look at me!  I'm trying really hard to look cool, even though
I clash with just about every decor imaginable!".

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com